First timer April 21

About how to Bass fish this lake
DRob7

First timer April 21

Postby DRob7 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:03 pm

I will be coming to the Big G for the first time on April 21. Can't wait. We will be staying in a house near "Buck Island" I believe. Any starting points we should hit near there for bass?

JoeJMD

Re: First timer April 21

Postby JoeJMD » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:19 pm

I'll tell you the same thing I tell everyone that comes to the lake for the first time....wherever you put in, do not go more than 5 miles in any one direction. There are fish to be found all over, upper end, lower middle, etc. In April, probably no need to fish more than 6 feet deep anywhere. By then most are on the bed and some post spawn so plastics are the conventional wisdom, but as the FLW October tournament showed, sometime bucking the trends gets the most action. see if you can find and links to BASS tournaments or shows done in April for some additional pattern help. Watch this board and BFHP as reports will start picking up as the weather gets warm. If you have the time and money a 1/2 or whole day trip with a guide is a good starter.

bamabower

Postby bamabower » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:10 am

As JoeJMD said, no need to burn a lot of gas during that time. I like to target the post spawn fish, I fish around new growing grass and use BIG 12 to 13 inch worms and jigs around the grass lines itself. Carolina rigging along the grass lines and Texas rigging inside the grass, (let the worm fall on a semi tight line as they will hit it during the drop). Don't hesitate to throw topwater over the grass either (pop r's spooks,buzz baits).
My boat is old, My rods aren't pretty. Those things let me fish when I want to.

Jason
Site Admin

Postby Jason » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:47 pm

Well, I could not add much to that, thanks guys. Great time to be here for sure, you should do fine. Fishing like in video 2, 8 and 9 should give you a good start.

Thanks for joining.
Thanks for participating on the http://www.fishinglakeguntersville.com/ Website.

- Jason

Return to “FLG Question?”