Shrimp best catfish bait

Talk for anything to do with fishing in general. Boating, rods and reels, likes and don’t likes.
george77

Shrimp best catfish bait

Postby george77 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:49 am

I swear by shrimp for catfish over any other bait you can think of. Many of my friends disagree with my choice. What do you say?
http://lake-fishing-reports.com home to lake & ice fishing plus reports

bamabower

Re: Shrimp best catfish bait

Postby bamabower » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:43 pm

Welcome to the site !!! :D I've seen shrimp used and it works but I like to use shad and bluegills, just because I'm a cheapskate :lol:
My boat is old, My rods aren't pretty. Those things let me fish when I want to.

Jason
Site Admin

Postby Jason » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:28 pm

yes welcome, we need insight on other species of fish, so we will love to hear your reports.

I vote for the shrimp since it is so clean to use. But I also might have never heard of it before now.
Thanks for participating on the http://www.fishinglakeguntersville.com/ Website.

- Jason

DervisKhan

Postby DervisKhan » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:00 am

I like to use shrimp as well thrown in the mix with the standard, liver, ivory soap, and nightcrawlers. These are all great for a good mess of eating size catfish. Now in my expereince at least targeting anything over 10lbs cut bait, and live bluegill are the way to go. Not saying you wont hang a big one on shrimp from time to time. Shrimp is also handy I guess that if your fishing for dinner and get skunked you can cook up your bait. Not sure if I am brave enough for that however.

Solidox

Postby Solidox » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:06 am

I remember growing up people down in Florida used frozen shrimp(bait) for bass so I see no reason why it wouldnt be a good catfishing bait as well, but where would you get shrimp around here cheap enough to use as bait... :? I'd rather eat the already cooked and peeled shrimp than use it for bait... :lol: ...I've also heard of the ivory soap thing, something about in the cold water they cant smell but they can see it?
`·.¸¸´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><(((º>

DervisKhan

Postby DervisKhan » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:51 am

Ivory Soap has the bright white going for it, also the soap leaves a trail in the water as it sits for a bit. Zote a hispanic laundry soap is great, but the main ingredient is animal fat so it is easy to see why. I guess it goes without saying the best place to find it is cultural grocery stores. The best thing (in my opinion) any one serious about whisker fish can do is make friends with their local butcher. Im not talking big chain stores but the local grocery store that costs to much. Where I live I made friends with said butcher and drop by about once a week to pick up anything that is out of date and they cant sell. I pay like 25% of the origional price on things like out dated shrimp and at times just get given tubs of liver that was just going in the trash. Also the store special orders turkey liver for me on request. The store makes a bit more money and I get great bait.

jacksjb

Postby jacksjb » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:15 pm

Solidox wrote:I remember growing up people down in Florida used frozen shrimp(bait) for bass so I see no reason why it wouldnt be a good catfishing bait as well, but where would you get shrimp around here cheap enough to use as bait... :? I'd rather eat the already cooked and peeled shrimp than use it for bait... :lol: ...I've also heard of the ivory soap thing, something about in the cold water they cant smell but they can see it?

Buy your shrimp from Cajun Cafe down in Laceys Spring with the heads on. Then pull the heads, boil the tails, and fish with the heads.

I also happen to know from experience that a catfish will bite a crawfish head even after it has been boiled in cajun seasoning and sucked dry. This is what happens when country kids have a crawfish boil at a parent's lakehouse in south Alabama.

Vision

Postby Vision » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:13 pm

40 years ago, which don't seem that long ago, But my Dad and i used to Jug on Roseberry creek, the bait was then easy to find, sort of harder now, " Chicken Hearts " cut them in half and one half to a hook, had 81 jugs, next morning we would be skinning close to 80 channel and blue channel cats. Good Bait, holds the blood longer than most things we tried, yep we caught some on shrimp, but not near as many. Give it a try. :)
Mike

16' Vision
Merc 135
Quicksilver Laser II 23P

Jason
Site Admin

Postby Jason » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:38 pm

Vision wrote:40 years ago, which don't seem that long ago, But my Dad and i used to Jug on Roseberry creek, the bait was then easy to find, sort of harder now, " Chicken Hearts " cut them in half and one half to a hook, had 81 jugs, next morning we would be skinning close to 80 channel and blue channel cats. Good Bait, holds the blood longer than most things we tried, yep we caught some on shrimp, but not near as many. Give it a try. :)

Good tips man, thanks
Thanks for participating on the http://www.fishinglakeguntersville.com/ Website.

- Jason

blackhawk611

Postby blackhawk611 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:55 pm

any time Jason, it beats soap any day. ;)
Mike Crenshaw
110 Pintlalla Place, New Market. AL.35761
cell phone 256-698-1606

Return to “General Chatter”